This new week the Lord will favour you in Jesus gracious name. Amen. We are going to study through another wonderful topic that really affect the church and our various community we represent today. THE COST OF FAILING GOD.
God is the maker of heaven and earth and He has programmed us to serve and trust Him alone, despite that He has also believed so much in us to uphold His principles and be responsible for all He has entrusted to us. It really affect Him when we fail Him either consciously or unconsciously, He gets angry and want to deal will such situations. Amen.
Responsibilities given by God to man is just a vital to God and He really business when with the duties He assigns to us. Just has God has given Eli the role of a priest over the people of Israel he fail in his responsibility from his immediate family. He could not control his children and they cost him a lot in the community and the church to whom he responsible to.
"12. Eli’s sons were scoundrels; they had no regard for the Lord.
13. Now it was the practice of the priests that, whenever any of the people offered a sacrifice, the priest’s servant would come with a three-pronged fork in his hand while the meat was being boiled
14. and would plunge the fork into the pan or kettle or caldron or pot. Whatever the fork brought up the priest would take for himself. This is how they treated all the Israelites who came to Shiloh.
15. But even before the fat was burned, the priest’s servant would come and say to the person who was sacrificing, “Give the priest some meat to roast; he won’t accept boiled meat from you, but only raw.”
16. If the person said to him, “Let the fat be burned first, and then take whatever you want,” the servant would answer, “No, hand it over now; if you don’t, I’ll take it by force.”
17. This sin of the young men was very great in the Lord’s sight, for they were treating the Lord’s offering with contempt.
18. But Samuel was ministering before the Lord—a boy wearing a linen ephod.
19. Each year his mother made him a little robe and took it to him when she went up with her husband to offer the annual sacrifice.
20. Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, saying, “May the Lord give you children by this woman to take the place of the one she prayed for and gave to the Lord.” Then they would go home.
21. And the Lord was gracious to Hannah; she gave birth to three sons and two daughters. Meanwhile, the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord.
22. Now Eli, who was very old, heard about everything his sons were doing to all Israel and how they slept with the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting.
23. So he said to them, “Why do you do such things? I hear from all the people about these wicked deeds of yours.
24. No, my sons; the report I hear spreading among the Lord’s people is not good.
25. If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the Lord, who will intercede for them?” His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the Lord’s will to put them to death.
26. And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the Lord and with people." 1 Samuel 2:12-26 (NIV)
Despite Eli was being responsible for his duty as a Priest his children were there causing issues all around making the man of God of no essence in the church. This has affected the honour God had for him for that fact that he has failed in his responsibility as a father unable to train his children aright and by that destroying the work of God. God cannot see His job faulted and be happy with man just as no one will see his business falling off in the hand of another and be happy with such.
God this week want to train us to be responsible to every responsibilities entrusted to us. He want us to put all our effort on all we do so that we will not fail in fulfilling our obligations either with Him or with other people around us. He want us to be diligent, focused and steadfast in all we are doing. Irrespective of situations around and factors that can militate against fulfilling them believe we can do it right and capable of handling the tax ahead.
The family of Eli are factors militating against him and he couldn't handle them and that cost him a lot that led to him failing his heavenly master who gave him work to do. Never should you allow anything militate your duty even at your place of work or working to the glory of God.
This morning I pray whatever standing to militate against your success shall be destroyed in Jesus name. Whatever that want to obstruct your destiny shall not have way with or in you any longer in Jesus name. You will not fail in all your endeavors in Jesus name. Amen.
Good morning and have a blissful day. Amen.
Prophet Johnson Oluwagbenga Adeniyi