We appreciate the Lord Jesus Christ for His commitment for the course of our salvation and actually perfecting our reconciliation with the Father. These He did both on the cross of Calvary and His resurrection on the third day as recorded in the scripture. His name along be highly exalted. Amen.
This new week we will be put our focus on the certain factors taking advantage over our prayers especially in the course of our fasting. It is a general believe that when we fast we get closer to God and get us away from sins: that is when proven right by God. Amen.
The Prophet Isaiah has these to say has given by God to the nation of Israel;
3. ‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?’ “Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers.
4. Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5. Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for people to humble themselves? Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed and for lying in sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the Lord?
6. “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
7. Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8. Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Isaiah 58:3-8 (NIV)
The Lord through the Prophet here is pointing to most of our pretence which we call fasting and our hypocrisy when we are fasting. We assume self-pity for humility and get more to sin rather than getting away from sin.
Brethren despite most us has fulfill the lent period of fasting for about 39 to 40 days remembering our Lord and master Jesus Christ suffering which led to the feast of unleavened bread (Passover) which we call Easter today. I know some will still continue at certain points to keep the fasting as means of getting connected to God making continues reference to gosple of Mark where Jesus said all these can only be done by fasting and prayer (self phrased).
God said through Isaiah that our fasting is doing just to another and not being unjust, reconciling issues and not making more quarrels, meeting with another's need and not yoking one another. Bible say when we do these we will excel, your health shall be restored, honour will engulf you all around in favour and prosperity will be your way of life as a whole. Amen.
I pray for wisdom from divine for you this week and desire God to favour you request as you fast and pray to Him through Jesus Christ. Amen. You fasting and prayer will not be in vain in the gracious name of Jesus. Amen. Whatever be your intentions for fasting shall be done for you in Jesus name. Amen
Prophet Johnson Oluwagbenga Adeniyi