Zachariah the Prophet in the days of kind Darius put to the people of Jerusalem their customized fasting which is not acceptable to God. It is not the traditional paint we have painted our fasting that matters to God but what is due to one another and unto Himself.
1. In the fourth year of King Darius, the word of the Lord came to Zechariah on the fourth day of the ninth month, the month of Kislev.
2. The people of Bethel had sent Sharezer and Regem-Melek, together with their men, to entreat the Lord
3. by asking the priests of the house of the Lord Almighty and the prophets, “Should I mourn and fast in the fifth month, as I have done for so many years?”
4. Then the word of the Lord Almighty came to me:
5. “Ask all the people of the land and the priests, ‘When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months for the past seventy years, was it really for me that you fasted?
6. And when you were eating and drinking, were you not just feasting for yourselves?
7. Are these not the words the Lord proclaimed through the earlier prophets when Jerusalem and its surrounding towns were at rest and prosperous, and the Negev and the western foothills were settled?’”
8. And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah:
9. “This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.
10. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’ Zechariah 7:1-10 (NIV)
The Lord is not pleased with our traditional fasting and our customized fasting. Some of us are found of fasting anytime we want to either received from the Lord or some to seek the face of the Lord. God was not confused to have asked that question in verses five of that text but really want the people to understand they are doing their fasting for the selfish interest. Brethren do not be particular about yourself always meaning do not make your fasting as the path to calling on God when in need alone. And after receiving from God you return to your wicked ways.
God said be truthful to one another irrespective of your tribe or nationality. Do not be one sided, balance your relationship with all understanding that all are equal in the presence of God. Do not segregate or give preference to another rather see it necessary to honour all with care and the fear of God.
May the Lord help us to fast in accordance to His will in Jesus name. Amen. Your efforts shall to be in vain in Jesus name neither will your prayer be like a nice in the presence of God in Jesus name. Amen.
Have a great midweek and a very good morning. Amen.
Prophet Johnson Oluwagbenga Adeniyi